Stoke Heath Map

Roughly a mile to the north-east of Coventry city centre, Stoke Heath is a residential area in the county of the West Midlands, England. The A444 runs along its western edge, with Courthouse Green to the north, Wyken to the east, Foleshill to the west, and Stoke to the south. Before the late 17th century, the land was largely open grazing country held by the manors of Wyken and Caludon, and references to it as ‘Wyken Heath’ or ‘Wyken Knob’ persisted well into the early 20th century. One of the earliest mentions of the area by its current name comes from around 1700, when it was loosely described as Stoke Common.

Growth and the First World War

Stoke Heath was formally created as a civil parish on 1 October 1920, carved from 74 acres in the west of Wyken, before being absorbed into Coventry on 1 April 1928 – part of a boundary expansion that added roughly 90,000 people to the city’s population. The area had already been largely built up between 1900 and 1920, driven by demand for housing for munitions workers during the period of Anglo-German rivalry leading up to the First World War. By 1921 the parish had a population of 2,843. During the war itself, Stoke Heath housed a significant number of Belgian refugees. The Stoke Heath Junior and Infants School, built at the end of 1915, provided a focal point for the original 689 homes constructed by that year. The school was demolished in the 1990s and replaced on the same site. The local parish church, St Albans on Mercer Avenue, was built in 1929 and designed by architect Harry Bulkeley Creswell. An earlier royal connection survives in the historical record: on 3 April 1604, Princess Elizabeth travelled from Coombe Abbey to Coventry, met by the Mayor and Aldermen at what was recorded as ‘Jabet’s Ash on Stoke-green’.

RELATED LOCATION  Chapelfields Map

Industry and Street Character

Clay and sand extraction for brickmaking took place in Stoke Heath in the early 19th century, on sites close to the Coventry Canal. The Morris Motors factory on Blackberry Lane became the area’s dominant employer for much of the 20th century, initially producing copies of Hotchkiss car engines, then switching to munitions output during the Second World War, before manufacturing engine components for the Morris Motor Group and British Leyland. The factory closed during the recession of the early 1980s and was demolished by the end of that decade to make way for new housing. The original street layout incorporated large numbers of elm trees along roads such as Heath Crescent and Common Way, most of which were lost to Dutch elm disease in the late 1970s. Something of the area’s rural past survives in street names like Blackberry Lane, Little Field, Watersmeet Road, and Valley Road.