Sitting on the north-west edge of Coventry in the county of West Midlands, Coundon was once a quiet Warwickshire village before mass housebuilding in the 1930s drew it into the expanding city. Its neighbour Keresley shared a similar fate. Today Coundon is a predominantly residential suburb, though its past is unusually well documented for a place of its size – it is one of the few settlements that now form part of Coventry to have been recorded in the Domesday Book of 1086.
A Long Local History
Holy Trinity Church held land in Coundon from at least the early 14th century, and by 1410-11 the settlement had been divided into Old, or Little Coundon, and New Coundon. It remained part of the Knightlow Hundred until 1451. Coundon was described as a parish in 1801 and 1811, then as a hamlet until 1881, before becoming a separate civil parish in 1866 when it split from the parish of Holy Trinity. On 1 April 1932 the parish was abolished and merged with Coventry and Keresley; at that point its population stood at just 364. In 1891, cycle manufacturer George Singer of Singer and Co built Coundon Court on land formerly part of Coundon Farm. The building, constructed in the Victorian Gothic style, now sits within the grounds of Coundon Court Secondary School, where it is known as The Old House.
Industry and the Blitz
Coundon’s industrial history is closely tied to the motor trade. Alvis Motors opened its first factory on the Holyhead Road in 1919, initially producing stationary engines and motor scooters before moving into four-cylinder and six-cylinder cars. A larger plant was eventually built on a 29-acre site, but it was severely damaged during the Coventry Blitz in the Second World War, halting car production until 1946. At its peak Alvis employed around 2,400 people. In 1965 the company came under Rover’s control, and production finally left Coventry in 1999. The former factory site is now the Alvis Retail Park. From 1951 to 2005, Coundon also held the Browns Lane Jaguar car factory, which for its first 47 years was the carmaker’s only plant. When it closed in 2005, production moved to Castle Bromwich and Halewood, and much of the Browns Lane site was demolished in 2008.
Entertainment and Everyday Life
The Rialto picture house opened on Moseley Avenue in 1928, screening silent films accompanied by a pianist and a small orchestra, with a ballroom on a separate level of the building. The cinema was lost in the Coventry Blitz, but the ballroom survived, going on to become the Rialto Bingo Club, then the Rialto Plaza for live music, and by 2024 it operated as the Neighbourhood Social. The Holyhead Road, the old coaching road running from London to Holyhead, also gave its name to the Holyhead Pub, which began trading in 1929. The Nugget Pub followed in 1938, built in anticipation of housing development on Coundon Wedge that ultimately never came.