Sitting in the northern reaches of Coventry in the county of West Midlands, Foleshill is a suburb whose roots stretch back almost a thousand years. To its north lie Longford, Courthouse Green, and Rowley Green, while Keresley borders it to the west. The 2021 census recorded a ward population of 22,478, a far cry from the civil parish population of just 1,639 recorded in 1931.
Ancient Origins and a Changing Identity
Foleshill appeared in the Domesday Book of 1086, listed alongside Ansty as part of the estate once held by Lady Godiva. The name itself is thought to derive from an Old English phrase meaning ‘hill of the folk or people’, giving rise to the informal rendering ‘Folks Hill’. Administratively, Foleshill had a complex history: originally part of Warwickshire, it fell under the County of the City of Coventry between 1451 and 1842, then reverted to Warwickshire. From 1894 to 1932 it was the seat of the Foleshill Rural District. On 1 April 1932, the civil parish was abolished and merged with Coventry and Bedworth.
Industry, Railways, and Motoring Heritage
The Coventry Canal and the Coventry to Nuneaton railway – which served Foleshill until its station closed in 1965 – helped attract industry to the area. Among the notable employers were the Ordnance Works, J&J Cash Ltd (silk ribbon weaving), and various brickworks. In July 1905, Courtaulds Ltd opened a factory here and grew into a world leader in the production of artificial fibres. The Courtaulds chimney, erected in 1924 at 365 feet (111 m) tall and constructed from 917,000 bricks weighing a combined 4,000 tons, was reputedly the tallest chimney in England at the time. Though now demolished, one of the original Courtaulds buildings survives as Tower Court, currently used as offices. The motoring industry also left its mark: Riley Cars operated in Foleshill from 1916 to 1948, and Jaguar Cars had a factory here during the 1930s and 1940s. An early cycle and car manufacturer called Challenge moved into premises on Foleshill Road, and its red-brick office building can still be seen today.
Other Points of History
The original Coventry and Warwickshire Hospital was built in the mid-1860s in gothic style, initially holding just 60 beds. It was extended as the city grew, though the remaining original structure was destroyed by Luftwaffe bombing during World War II. The Pridmore council estate has faced longstanding difficulties, including arson and vandalism. Plans unveiled in 2000 proposed demolishing over 130 homes, and by 2002 revised proposals called for 65 new properties alongside a community centre, shops, and a public park.