Canley Map

Sitting in the south-west of Coventry, Canley is a suburban neighbourhood bisected by the A45 dual-carriageway. To the south of that road lies a substantial state housing development built in the early 1950s, while the area of private housing known as Canley Gardens occupies the northern side, stretching towards Canley railway station. Neighbouring districts include Cannon Park and Cannon Hill to the east, Tile Hill South to the north, and Westwood Heath to the south. The proximity of the University of Warwick means the area has a significant student population. Electorally, Canley falls largely within the Westwood ward, with portions also covered by the Wainbody and Earlsdon wards.

From Farmland to Factory

Before 1916, Canley was entirely open farmland. That changed when the Standard Motor Company built its first factory around a building called Ivy Cottage, close to the Canley train halt. The site initially produced First World War fighter aircraft from 1916, before switching to Standard cars from 1918 onwards. The factory expanded throughout the 1920s, and two Shadow Factories were added in the run-up to the Second World War. Production of Standard and Triumph cars continued on the site until August 1980, when British Leyland’s rationalisation programme brought car manufacturing there to a close, though the Triumph name itself continued until 1984, with the final Triumph-badged car built at the Cowley plant near Oxford. A technical centre occupied part of the old factory site until the mid-1990s, after which the buildings were progressively demolished. Today, a commemorative sculpture of the Standard-Triumph badge can be found on Herald Avenue, near the Standard Triumph Club, the only building from the original industrial complex still standing. Canley became part of Coventry through successive boundary expansions between 1928 and 1932, having previously belonged to the Stoneleigh parish.

RELATED LOCATION  Cannon Park Map

Sir Henry Parkes and Local Landmarks

Canley was the birthplace of Sir Henry Parkes (1815-1896), the Australian statesman who served five times as Premier of New South Wales. He was born in a cottage off Moat House Lane, and Canley Fire Station on Sir Henry Parkes Road, close to the A45, bears his name. A school named in his honour was demolished in 2006. Among the area’s other landmarks are the Xcel Leisure Centre, Canley Community Centre, Canley Library, Cannon Park Shopping Centre, and Coventry Technical Rugby Club. The level crossing that once sat adjacent to Canley railway station was closed in 2003 and replaced with a footbridge over the railway. Secondary education in the area is provided by The Westwood School, Charter Academy (formed from the merger of Sir Henry Parkes School and Alderman Harris School), and the WMG Academy for Young Engineers.