Caludon Castle Map

Situated in Wyken, a suburban area to the east of Coventry city centre, Caludon Castle is one of the West Midlands’ most historically layered sites. What survives today is a substantial fragment of sandstone wall, the sole visible remnant of a structure that was alternately a large house, a crenellated castle, and a mansion over the course of several centuries. The surrounding estate, once far more expansive, is now an urban park owned and managed by Coventry City Council, though much of the original land was sold off and built over with housing estates during the early twentieth century.

A Long History of Ownership and Rebuilding

The site has been occupied since at least the eleventh century, predating the Norman conquest. After the conquest, it passed to the Earl of Chester, and was later granted to the Segrave family in the thirteenth century, being recorded as a manor for the first time in 1239. A licence for crenellation in 1305 marked the point at which the house was first remodelled into a castle, and a second licence in 1354 prompted another rebuild. By the fourteenth century, the property had come into the hands of Thomas de Mowbray, 1st Duke of Norfolk, whose banishment in 1398 left the castle to fall into disrepair. His son John inherited the building, and it stayed within the Mowbray family until 1481, when it passed to William de Berkeley, 1st Marquess of Berkeley. The structure was rebuilt once more around 1580, this time as a mansion, before being largely destroyed in 1662. By 1800, the remaining masonry had been incorporated into a farmhouse on the site. The estate was divided and sold in 1815, passing through several private hands until Coventry Corporation acquired most of the land after the First World War for housing development.

RELATED LOCATION  WWI monument Map

Layout, Architecture, and Designation

Caludon Castle is both a Scheduled Ancient Monument and a Grade I listed building. A second moated site, roughly 190 metres to the south, holds its own Scheduled Ancient Monument designation. The original castle was oval in plan, enclosed by a defensive wall with towers and a moat, with the entrance gatehouse and bridge positioned on the east side. Living quarters occupied the north and west of the enclosure, while kitchens and service areas sat to the south and east. Outside the moat lay farm buildings, a bowling green, gardens, and a three-acre field historically called “the pool”. The estate’s original boundary ran from Sowe Bridge – now known as Clifford Bridge – over the River Sowe in the south-east, stretching to higher ground near Stoke Heath in the north-west. Administratively, the estate was historically a detached part of St. Michael’s parish before being transferred to Wyken in 1884, which was itself absorbed into the City of Coventry in 1928.