Running along the Leamington Road in the south of Coventry, Stivichall (pronounced ‘Styche-ull’) is a largely residential suburb within the county of the West Midlands. The Sherbourne, a stream that rises in Allesley and flows as an upper sub-tributary of the River Avon, carved the vale on whose terraces much of the suburb sits. To the south, the A45 dual carriageway marks the boundary with the Finham and Green Lane neighbourhoods, while the district of Cheylesmore blends into the area to the northeast. The small suburb of Fenside forms part of southeast Stivichall, and Whitley Common, a flood meadow to the east, separates Stivichall from Whitley.
War Memorial Park and the Gregory Estate
To the north and northwest, Stivichall borders the War Memorial Park, a Grade II listed civic park and garden that separates the suburb from the similarly residential area of Earlsdon along Coat of Arms Bridge Road. This park came about because the Styvechale manor had been in the Gregory family’s possession since the 16th century, until Coventry Corporation purchased the land in 1919. Part of the estate was used to create the War Memorial Park, with the rest developed for housing by the 1970s. The main roads connecting Coventry to Leamington Spa and Kenilworth both pass through and converge within Stivichall’s boundaries. When the Gregory family owned the estate, travellers were charged a toll of 1d per horse and 6d per vehicle to use those roads. The toll house at the road junction was demolished in 1964.
Growth, History, and the Spelling Debate
The western part of Stivichall, known locally as Styvechale Grange, was developed in the late 1960s and early 1970s to accommodate Coventry’s then-rapidly growing population, which peaked at 340,000 in 1971. Before that expansion, Stivichall was a rural civil parish with a recorded population of just 76 in 1931. On 1 April 1932 the parish was abolished and merged with Coventry and Baginton. The name itself is thought to derive from the Old English words ‘styfic’, meaning ‘tree stumps’, and ‘healh’, meaning ‘nook’ or ‘corner’. While the pronunciation has never been in dispute, the spelling has. The ‘Styvechale’ variant is widely considered more faithful to its Old English roots, but since 1945 ‘Stivichall’ has been the official designation, and all current road signs use that spelling. In the early 1990s a campaign sought to restore ‘Styvechale’ to local signage and civic use, reflecting ongoing attachment to the older form.