Sitting about 4.5 miles north of Coventry city centre and roughly 3.5 miles southwest of Bedworth, Keresley occupies the northwestern fringe of the city within the Bablake ward. It is bounded by the Woodlands, Whoberley, Sherbourne, Radford, and Holbrook wards, and its nearest neighbours include the villages of Corley, Corley Moor, Ash Green, and Brownshill Green. The parish is served by local bus stops along the Tamworth Road (B4098), which also passes the Church of Saint Thomas. Day-to-day facilities in the village include two grocers, a beauty salon, a primary school, a doctors surgery, a fish and chip shop, a post office, a library, a park, a garden centre, and a community centre.
Two Villages, One Name
Keresley and Keresley End are technically distinct places. Keresley falls within the City of Coventry, while Keresley End – also called Keresley Village or Keresley Newlands – lies in Warwickshire, with the exception of Thompsons Road, which sits inside the Coventry boundary. Within Keresley itself, two older settlements once existed separately: Keresley Green to the north and Keresley Heath to the south. Keresley Heath was developed more extensively, gaining schools and the church of Saint Thomas, but the opening of Coventry Colliery by the Warwickshire Coal Company near Keresley Green in 1911 shifted the focus of growth northward. The two parts did not formally merge into a single identity until 1974, and the colliery itself closed in 1991.
Saxon Roots and Ancient Woodland
The name Keresley is thought to be Saxon in origin, possibly dating to the 7th century, though the settlement did not appear in the Domesday Book of 1086. The -ley suffix, common across many English village names, means a clearing in the woods, placing Keresley within the old Forest of Arden. The Keres- prefix is believed to derive either from the Saxon word for cress or from a personal name, giving the village a meaning of either “the cress clearing” or a clearing belonging to a particular individual. Much of the parish remains rural, and Coventry City Council wildlife surveys have rated large parts of the area as “A” grade – describing it as having very high natural history value with varied habitats and a wide diversity of plants and animals. The parish contains ancient woodland and a network of public footpaths, and is considered one of the few parts of Coventry where skylarks can still be heard. The 2011 Census recorded a population of 713, though an estimate for 2018 put that figure back up to 783.